Click here to download the brochure for booking lessons via Havering Music School.
What does my child do as part of the package?
Each child on a Gold/Silver/Bronze
package will receive:
- a specialist lesson on their chosen instrument (eg flute, voice)
- a group lesson in theory/musicianship appropriate to their knowledge level
- an ensemble (eg guitar ensemble, show choir, recorders)
Ensemble only options may include Y2/3 recorders, Y3 drumming.
My child plays a second instrument - how much will that cost?
Reduced rates are available for second/third instruments. Please contact Havering Music School for a detailed quote for your child’s needs, however, as a ready reckoner:
- second instrument Bronze: £22.75/month
- second instrument Silver: £36.83/month
- second instrument Gold: £59.58/month
We may schedule one of the lessons away from class-time to ensure that your child doesn’t miss too much curriculum time. Year 6’s will be timetabled to miss minimal curriculum time. If your child already attends the Saturday or Weekday Music School you can just add your Upminster-taught lesson onto your existing direct debit by emailing the Music School.
My child doesn't play an orchestral instrument
Guitarists, pianists, singers and some percussionists have never had the opportunity for invitational group music making as they weren’t eligible for orchestra. The current ensemble system gives them the opportunity to rehearse with others, developing their listening and participation skills.
What lessons can I have on site at Upminster?
- Singing/Voice (individual lessons only, ie Silver or Gold)
- Piano (individual lessons only, ie Silver or Gold)
- Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass (Bronze/Silver/Gold)
- Bass Guitar, Classical Guitar (Bronze/Silver/Gold)
- Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Recorder (Bronze/Silver/Gold)
- Recorder ensemble (Ideal for Y2 or Y3 children)
- Trumpet/Cornet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium/Baritone/Tuba (Bronze/Silver/Gold)
- Samba drumming ensemble (Y3)
- Drum Kit/Tuned Percussion/Drumming (Bronze/Silver/Gold)
Talk to Havering Music School if your child’s needs are not listed or if you are unsure of the most suitable option. There are enquiry forms on their website.
What equipment do I need?
Most instruments can be rented from Music School (current annual fee £35.00). These can be ‘upgraded’ as your child grows into larger instruments. Pianists will need access to a piano or a quality keyboard (preferably with ‘weighted’ keys). You will occasionally need to buy smaller items such as music, reeds, strings etc, but the teacher will advise.
How do I know about progress?
You’ll be able to hear your child improving as they practice. There will be end-of-year recitals in July, and also performance opportunities throughout the year. A formal report will be issued at the end of the year. They may also be progressing through graded exams.